Miso Soba Noodles Soup
FOR 4 BOWLS:
- 250g soba noodles
- 2 tbsp rice oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stems of spring onions, sliced
- 120g shiitake mushrooms
- 1200ml dashi (japanese stock)
- 6 tbsp (84g) miso paste
- 200g teriyaki tofu (see recipe to the right)
- 1 spring onion stem, sliced
- 2g wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp roasted black & white sesame seeds
- 4-5 pieces of fresh salad leaves/ruccola/other greens
→ Don’t forget to soak the seaweed in water for 10 minutes and drain well before using.
FOR TOFU TERIYAKI:
- 200g tofu
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp rice oil or vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp mirin
→ Dice tofu into cubes, then fry in oil until the surface becomes golden.
→ Add ginger, mirin & tamari soy sauce, and stir-fry for a few more minutes for the tofu to caramelize.
HOW TO COOK
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan and cook the soba noodles following the instructions on the pack.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry the garlic and spring onions to infuse the flavour to the oil. Add shiitake mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the dashi and bring to a boil again, then turn down the heat to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Dissolve the miso paste in the soup base (take a half cup of dashi in a jug to dissolve miso then pour back into the rest of the dashi if it easier).
- When the noodles are cooked, drain and place them into individual bowls. Set aside.
- Pour the miso soup on the soba noodles then top with vegetables, wakame, tofu. Sprinkle spring onions and toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve hot.